Family Heirloom Chicken Casserole with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Sour Cream Sauce
This is a wonderful, simple and inexpensive casserole that is a good family meal but elegant enough to serve for company. This recipe is perfect with home-canned tomatoes, although the vineyards have prevented me from canning over the past few years! The leftover broth makes a lovely soup.
6 pieces of of cup up chicken, any parts
1 large (28 oz) can of whole tomatoes
8 ounces of sliced white Mushrooms
1 cup of Sour Cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T of flour
1 T oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté in a small amount of oil in a fry pan until lightly browned.
- Layer the chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms in a 4 quart ovenproof casserole and pour in all of the juice from the canned tomatoes.
- Cover the casserole and put in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until the dark meat is well cooked, almost falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken to a platter.
- Mix the Sour Cream with the flour in a small bowl and add some of the liquid from the casserole. Mix to remove any lumps and pour the mixture back into the casserole. Heat on the stove until the sauce has thickened slightly. Return the chicken to the casserole and serve.
Serves 3 and can be doubled. I usually accompany this dish with steamed rice and a salad.
Our Family Heirloom Chicken Casserole with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Sour Cream Sauce is lovely with a bottle of our 2017 Three Feathers Pinot Noir or our 2018 Three Feathers Blanc de Noirs (white Pinot Noir).