Hungarian Sausage Bake with a low-carb version
This is a lovely family recipe that you can easily make on-the-go, or create from leftovers (such as barbecued sausage links) for a new nourishing meal.
Our lighter, low-carb version uses cauliflower instead of potatoes : cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable and marries well in flavor texture with smoky sausage and smooth hard-boiled eggs.
VERSION # 1
1/2 lb of Hungarian Sausage (we use Beef Polksa Kielbasa), sliced
1/2 lb potatoes
4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T of paprika (Penzeys Hungarian-style Paprika is great for this recipe)
2 T butter
2 cups sour cream
1 tsp flour
1/4 cup light cream
2 T bread crumbs
VERSION # 2
Substitute lightly steamed cauliflower for the potatoes. To make this recipe gluten-free, use cornflakes or gluten-free bread crumbs and potato flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pre-cook the sausages separately by roasting them simply in the oven. If they are set in links, four links should be sufficient.
- Boil the potatoes with their skins in salted water for 15 minutes. Peel and slice when cool. If you are substituting with cauliflower, break the head into florets and steam them lightly.
- Butter a 12″ x 8″ x 2″ baking dish (Pyrex works well) and arrange half of the potatoes, sausage and eggs in a layer.
- Combine the paprika, salt, sour cream, flour and light cream.
- Spread the cream mixture over the first layer.
- Make a second layer with the remaining ingredients and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Serve this hearty casserole with a simple green salad and a fresh bottle of our 2018 Three Feathers Blanc de Noirs (white Pinot Noir), which adds a fruity and acidic touch.